Pages


4/20/11

Change The Paradigm...

I've said previously that until about 9 months ago, I hated running.  Or, more precisely, I hated anything that had anything to do with physical exertion of any kind.  I'm not sure if I can properly articulate to you how much I disliked the concept of exercising, but let me put it to you this way: I have been "Tased" before, and I can honestly tell you that, though it only lasted 5 seconds, and that as soon as it was over there was no lingering pain or other effect, it was nonetheless the longest 5 seconds of my life and the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced.  I would rather be shot in the arm or leg with a bullet than be tased again, and if anyone EVER points a taser at me and tells me to do something, by God I am going to do it.  Until August of last year, if you gave me the choice of being tased or exercising for 30 minutes, I'd take the Taser.  So hopefully we are clear about where I fell on the whole exercise thing.  So what changed for me?  The answer is lot's of things.  Motivation, for one. And by that I mean that I actually was motivated, whereas I had been previously.  Before I began running, I was dieting, and I was fairly successful.  You will be surprised how much you can accomplish by simply counting your calorie intake and being accountable for what you eat.  As well as that was working for me, I wanted to take my weight loss up a notch, so I started walking kind of fast and calling it "working out."  But remember at that point in time, I still hated it.  The phrase "Working Out" was akin to a filthy limerick (and not even a funny one) or a fart in church during communion (again, not a funny one..okay, it would be kind of funny....well, alright, it would be hilarious).  Hopefully, you get my point.  "workout" was a dirty word.  So what did I do to keep me going?  I stopped calling it exercise.  I just started calling it "running."  Becoming a runner was all about changing my perspective on running.  Exercise was something you were supposed to do, something people like doctors or your parents told you to do, like homework or coming to a full and complete stop at a stop sign when no traffic is coming.  But "running," well that was a hobby.  That was something I chose to do.  I know that, in the end it is a difference without distinction, but it made all of the difference to me.  In fact, I still refuse to say that I exercise.  I "go for a run."  It sounds pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable.  I am a "runner."  It's just what I do, just like some of you are crafters, or knitters, or bikers, or surfers or whatever it is you do that makes you happy.  And running makes me happy, because I do it for fun, not for exercise.  Not for work.  It's not work.  It's my free time and my hobby.  So I refuse to call it exercise.  Because "exercise" is an imposition.  Running is a passion.  The whole point of this post is to say simply this: if you are truly interested in taking up running, I highly suggest you shift your perspective on the subject.  Yes, it is good for you.  Yes, you will be healthier.  Yes, you should do it or some other form of cardiovascular activity.  All of those things will be no less true by changing your thought process.  But what changing your thought process can do for you is get you interested in running for all of the selfish reasons that really motivate us deep down, like the fact that, in our busy day to day lives, we all want a little free time or quiet time to ourselves (throw on the earbuds, crank some tunes and go for a run...talk about "me" time!).   So don't call it exercise.  Call it a hobby.  Call it your quiet time.  Call it your time to decompress.  But trust me.  Get out there and go, and you'll love yourself for it!

2 comments:

  1. You could not have made a better point! I always Love the idea of a good perspective change! jNR

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT Blog!!!! I love it and I am going to do my best to get motivated too! I always joke that the only way I run is if something is chasing me - well guess what, I have two little boys who ARE!!! I want to be in shape for them...so it's time to get moving!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think, or leave words of encouragement for others!